Villeroy & Boch began in the tiny French village of Audun le Tiche, where François Boch and his three sons set up a pottery company in 1748. They manufactured ceramic tableware, including tureens, pots, plates and cups. In 1791, Nicholas Villeroy set up an earthenware facility in Wallerfangen, creating tableware with attractive and cost-effective copper plating techniques. In 1836, the two former competitors merged into one, quickly expanding their product range by purchasing a glassworks, which still produces glassware to complement their serve ware, today. Villeroy & Boch followed up by adding bone china with multicolored prints in 1850, then floor tiles in 1852, followed by terracotta work in 1879.
As the company continued to learn and integrate new techniques, the Villeroy & Boch coffee and tea serve ware expanded, until entire collections featured Villeroy & Boch serving platters, Villeroy & Boch serving bowls and Villeroy & Boch dinnerware as lifestyle sets rather than individual pieces, although these remain available for replacements. Both design innovation and tradition are very much a part of this still-growing company, as eight generations of descendents from Nicholas Villeroy and François Boch have remained the responsible heads of Villeroy & Boch, a company with international fame for its co-coordinated tableware, glassware, cutlery, and accessories with styles which usually suggest a snapshot of history.